7. Name the classes that are introduced in the System.Numerics namespace.
The following two new classes are introduced in the System.Numerics namespace:
- BigInteger – Refers to a non-primitive integral type, which is used to hold a value of any size. It has no lower and upper limit, making it possible for you to perform arithmetic calculations with very large numbers, even with the numbers which cannot hold by double or long.
- Complex – Represents complex numbers and enables different arithmetic operations with complex numbers. A number represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, and b is the imaginary part, is a complex number.
8. What is managed extensibility framework?
Managed extensibility framework (MEF) is a new library that is introduced as a part of .NET 4.0 and Silverlight 4. It helps in extending your application by providing greater reuse of applications and components. MEF provides a way for host application to consume external extensions without any configuration requirement.
9. Explain memory-mapped files.
Memory-mapped files (MMFs) allow you map the content of a file to the logical address of an application. These files enable the multiple processes running on the same machine to share data with each Other. TheMemoryMappedFile.CreateFromFile() method is used to obtain a MemoryMappedFile object that represents a persisted memory-mapped file from a file on disk.
These files are included in the System.IO.MemoryMappedFiles namespace. This namespace contains four classes and three enumerations to help you access and secure your file mappings.
10. What is Common Type System (CTS)?
CTS is the component of CLR through which .NET Framework provides support for multiple languages because it contains a type system that is common across all the languages. Two CTS-compliant languages do not require type conversion when calling the code written in one language from within the code written in another language. CTS provide a base set of data types for all the languages supported by.NET Framework. This means that the size of integer and long variables is same across all .NET-compliant programming languages. However, each language uses aliases for the base data types provided by CTS. For example, CTS uses the data type system. int32 to represent a 4 byte integer value; however, Visual Basic uses the alias integer for the same; whereas, C# uses the alias int. This is done for the sake of clarity and simplicity.
11. Give a brief introduction on side-by-side execution. Can two applications, one using private assembly and the other using the shared assembly be stated as side-by-side executables?
Side-by-side execution enables you to run multiple versions of an application or component and CLR on the same computer at the same time. As versioning is applicable only to shared assemblies and not to private assemblies, two applications, one using a private assembly and other using a shared assembly, cannot be stated as side-by-side executables.
12. Which method do you use to enforce garbage collection in .NET?
The System.GC.Collect() method.